Two Green flags fly proudly at our gate, and we are in the process of applying for the third.
Our first flag was for recycling and waste reduction. Since we embraced the whole project we have endeavoured to improve in many different ways eg:
- Using recycled paper for Art
- Encouraging use of lunchboxes instead of packaging
- Photocopy double sides of sheets.
- Using visualiser/white boards instead of photocopying
- Emailing/texting rather than sending home notes
- Litter pick-up teams were formed to clean the yard every Friday. This worked well, but after a while, the committee suggested all food be eaten in class, thus cutting out all litter.
Our second flag was for water conservation. The committee had great fun carrying out several investigations to monitor our use of water. They especially enjoyed measuring the toilet flush! Imagine, our old cisterns used up to 11 litres! We have reduced this to about 7 now, by packing them with water bottles.
Reading the water meter was fun in the dry weather, and really slimy on the wet days.
The surveys home were very interesting for both parents and children. It has shortened time spent in some showers for sure.
Our third flag will be for Travel. We elected the committee just recently, and their first task will be to draw up a questionnaire on how everyone travels to school. On Friday we have the walking Bus which leaves the village at 9.10. You can be sure we are wide awake when we arrive to school those days!